Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday wrap up...

Today was a good day....

When your are working six days a week it can be tough to "give up" your only free day by going to church. However I was blessed today by having the opportunity to teach the YA class at Palm Beach Lakes. I spent several hours last night and my time of study reminded me of what life is all about. When put in the perspective of what He has done for me, I have to feel honored that I am allowed to "give up" a day in worship. God doesn't need me. I need him....

Let's talk about Lindsey's flat tire. Big brave auto mechanic Dad comes to the rescue when Brent had to head to work. I've been working on cars so long I know it all. All except that it isn't a great idea to leave a 4K lbs SUV jacked up on the play jack that Mazda delivered with the vehicle. Seems 3 hours is just enough time for the metal to fatigue and the jack to give out. Now here is where life experience comes in (one day I'll have to tell the story about the Trans Am rolling off the ramps). Ten years ago if I had been working on a car that jack would have failed and the SUV dropped on the brake rotor causing more damage. Not today. I was smart(?) enough to have taken a jack stand with me and placed it under the SUV as a back up. Saved me from looking like an idiot in front of Lindsey.

Just got done watching the first episode of The Pacific on HBO. I don't know why I am drawn to WWII, but I am. I tend to think it is a reaction to the over glorification (is that a word?) of such trivial acts in today's society. Then you look back on the men who fought during WWII and realize that those who are true heroes aren't the famous actors, athletes and politicians. The true heroes are ordinary folk, from small towns all across this country of ours. Men who still believed in right and wrong. Men who believed they were fighting on the side of right. Ordinary men who performed in extraordinary ways. Ordinary men who did a job that they believed had to be done, and when they were done, they went home. They became ordinary men again.

One line struck me tonight. I am sure I don't have the words perfect but I believe I have the context and thought. A solider said, "It is one thing to reconcile what we have done with God, it is another to reconcile it with ourselves." These men were doing something that under any other circumstance that couldn't do. They did not love violence. They were not murderers. They understand the humanity on the other end of the barrel. But the fought because they believed it was right.

Doing right isn't easy. Those soldiers gave more than I can comprehend to protect "freedom", to protect "right".

What am I going to give this week for right......

No comments:

Post a Comment