Sunday, March 21, 2010

My first NASCAR-less Sunday....

I didn't watch Bristol today. It was the first Bristol race I haven't watched in around twenty years. Funny thing is that I didn't miss it the way I thought I would. I've been watching those guys go around in circles for so many years I don't even remeber when I started. Now after one weekend I am beginning to wonder if I watched the races out of a love for NASCAR or just an old habit. As I sit here tonight, I am going with habit.

I've been a big supporter of NASCAR for years. I've gotten into some pretty heavy message board 'wars' with F1 fans about which racing is the best. I've purchase many NASCAR items. However I don't remember when or why I became a fan.

Isn't it interesting how we invest a portion of ourselves into a team, driver or sport that we don't participate in? I can't tell you how many days I've been upset, sad or angry because my team or driver didn't do well. On the other hand I have had wonderful weekends because my team won. We become very passionate about these things and they don't even have a real impact on our lives.

I've missed out on church activities, I've skipped days I should have been working and I might have even blown one of my kids activities to stay connected to my team. For what?!?! To validate some part of myself that I've attached to a person/team?

The team I cheer for beat the team you cheer for so I am by default a better person than you!! In fact, we won the National Championship so I am just sitting here waiting for Meagan Fox to call me up for a date. Blah, Blah, Blah... (doesn't that sound a bit like a Yankee or Bama fan??)

I'm happy that Carl Edwards pulled his stunt and showed me that I didn't need to waste anymore time of my life with NASCAR. I really don't know how Jeff Gordon or JP Montoya did today and I don't care. What I did get this afternoon was a great nap, all the laundry done, a nice lunch with my family and more hours of health care debate (Does the law cover me if I am sick because the bill passed?) than I could stand.

It was another great day.

Just a few more weeks of tax season left. Call me if you need some tax advice. :)

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment